Blijde-Inkomststraat 21, postbus 3308, 3000 Leuven
Erasmushuis, room 02.20
phone: ++32 (0)16 32 48 02
fax: ++32 (0)16 32 47 67
email: see coordinates of K.U.Leuven staff
In the Bachelor in Language and Literature program (K.U.Leuven Campus Kortrijk):
- Dutch linguistics I (see course description )
In the Speech and Hearing Therapy program (K.U.Leuven, Faculty of Medecine):
- General and Dutch linguistics I (see course
- new handbook: Hans Smessaert (2009). Basisbegrippen Semantiek. [Reeks Basisbegrippen Taalkunde]. Leuven: Acco (154 blz., ISBN 978 90 334 7560 3).
- Aspects of spoken Dutch (in collaboration with Wivine Decoster, see
- new handbook: Hans Smessaert & Wivine Decoster (2012). Basisbegrippen Fonetiek en Fonologie. [Reeks Basisbegrippen Taalkunde]. Leuven: Acco (290 blz., ISBN 978-90-334-8576-3).
- General and Dutch linguistics II (see course description)
- Language Development (in collaboration with Inge Zink, see
- new handbook: Inge Zink & Hans Smessaert (2009). Taalontwikkeling stap voor stap. Herentals: Vlaamse Vereniging voor Logopedisten (154 blz., ISBN 978 90 811 3476 7).
In the Master in Linguistics program:
- Semantics (see course description)
The research topics that I have published on can be subdivided into the following categories. More concrete information can be found in the survey of my publications. The topics of my recent and/or current research are marked with an asterisk (*).
- formal semantics: logical geometry, aspectual adverbs, determiners/quantifiers, modal operators.
- syntactico-semantics:: (subordinating) conjunctions and adverbs, modality and negation, conditional clauses.
- other:: lexical semantics, language acquisition.
- logical geometry
- 3D visualisation of Aristotelian and duality relations.*
- The classical Aristotelian hexagon vs the modern duality hexagon.*
- Duality and reversibility beyond the Square of Oppositions.*
- On the distinction between Unconnectedness, Non-contradiction and Non-implication.*
- The Logical Geometry of the rhombic dodecahedron of Oppositions (with Lorenz Demey).*
- Logical Geometries and Information in the Square of Oppositions (with Lorenz Demey).*
- Three Logical Geometries Coinciding in the Square of Oppositions (with Lorenz Demey).*
- An Algebraic Perspective on Duality in Logic and Language (with Lorenz Demey).*
- aspectual adverbs
- aspectual particles in Dutch.
- aspectual focus particles in Dutch and English (in collaboration with Alice ter Meulen).
- the differences between Dutch and English w.r.t. the lexicalisation of aspectual adverbs.
- the interaction between aspectual focus and negation in Dutch.
- duality relations between aspectual adverbs.
- temporal reasoning with aspectual adverbs (with Alice ter Meulen).
- the evaluation of aspectual distance, speed and progress.
- elementary imperfective quantification and the scope of negation in Dutch.
- the interaction between aspectual adverbs and negation in (counterfactual) conditionals.*
- nominal and aspectual comparative constructions in Dutch (Ph.D. dissertation).
- monotonicity properties of comparative determiners in Dutch and English.
- 3D visualisation of logical relations between standard quantifiers and comparative quantifiers.*
- modal operators
- 3D visualisation of logical relations between modal operators.*
- (subordinating) conjunctions and adverbs
- the syntax of conjunctive, adverbial and prepositional expressions in Dutch (with Jeannine Beeken).
- the syntactico-semantics of (subordinating) conjunctions and conjunctive expressions in Dutch (with Bert Cornillie, Dagmar Divjak, José Tummers and Karel van den Eynde).
- nominal versus sentential complementation and the status of Dutch the fact that (with José Tummers).
- degrees of syntactico-semantic dependency with before-clauses in Dutch (with Karel van den Eynde).
- Dutch anders ('differently/otherwise'): from manner adverb to epistemic discourse marker (with William Van Belle).
- Adpositional Constructions of Location and Direction (with Ingrid Van Canegem-Ardijns & William Van Belle).*
- modality and negation
- modal duality and the syntactico-semantics of negatively-bound of-constructions in Dutch.
- the lexicalisation of legal norms (with Karen Deschamps).
- conditional clauses
- direct versus indirect inferential conditionals (with Sara Verbrugge).*
- inferential versus meta-inferential conditionals (with Sara Verbrugge).*
- the morpho-syntax of pronominal clitics in West-Flemish (M.A. thesis).
- differences between West-Flemish and English with short answers to polarity questions and question tags.
- the morpho-syntax of cardinal numbers in West-Flemish.
- lexical semantics
- the logic of the label figurative in lexicography (with Dirk Geeraerts).
- a typology of abbreviations in Dutch (with Frank Joosten).
- language acquisition
- the acquisition of subordinate structures in the differentiation stage (with Inge Zink).
Supervision current Ph.D research projects
- Karen Van de Cruys :
Contrastieve analyse Russisch-Nederlands van enkele constructietypes in het overgangsveld tussen parataxis en
hypotaxis (Contrastive analysis Russian-Dutch of some construction in the transition between parataxis and
hypotaxis). Supervisors: Prof. dr. H. Smessaert & Prof. dr. T. Soldatjenkova. 2008-2014.
- Liesbeth Augustinus :
On complement raising and cluster formation in Dutch. A Treebank-supported investigation. Supervisors: Prof.
dr. Frank Van Eynde & Prof. dr. H. Smessaert. 2011-2015 (FWO project).
- Koen Roelandt :
- The formal semantics of proportional quantification in Dutch and English. Supervisors: Prof. dr. H. Smessaert & Prof. dr. Dany Jaspers. 2011-2015 (BOF-HUB project Z7249).
Supervision finished Ph.D research projects
- Sara Verbrugge :
A psycholinguistic analysis of inferential conditional sentences. Supervisors:
Prof. dr. W. Van Belle & Prof. dr. W. Schaeken. Graduation: May 29, 2007 (as a member of the supervision commission).
- Liesbeth Mortier :
Perspectives on grammaticalization and speakers' involvement. The case of progressive and
continuative periphrases in French and Dutch. Supervisors: Prof. dr. L. Melis & Prof. dr. B. Lamiroy.
Graduation: June 8, 2007 (as a member of the supervision commission).
- Karen Deschamps :
De lexicalisatie van rechtsnormen. Deontische modaliteit en negatie
in Nederlandstalige regelgevende teksten (The lexicalisation of legal norms. Deontic modality and negation
in Dutch legal texts). Supervisors: Prof. dr. W. Smedts & Prof. dr. H. Smessaert. Graduation: June 29, 2009.
- Gudrun Vanderbauwhede :
Een corpusgebaseerde analyse van de definiete determinanten in het Frans en het Nederlands: van theorie over
descriptie naar taalverwerving (A corpus based analysis of the demonstrative determiners in French and Dutch:
from theory to description and language acquisition). Supervisors: Prof. Dr. Piet Desmet & Prof. Dr. Peter
Lauwers. Graduation: September 16, 2011 (as a member of the supervision commission).
Supervision research projects
- Betrouwbaar common sense redeneren. Cognitief psychologisch en pragmalingu´stisch onderzoek naar niet-monotone redeneervormen en hun logisch-computationele modellering (Reliable common sense reasoning. Cognitive psychological and pragma-linguistic research into non-monotonic reasoning and its logical-computational modelling, IDO-project 03/001)
- Lorenz Demey
- Theory and Application of Diagrams
- N-Opposition Theory (NOT) site of Alessio Moretti
- The Pronominal Approach site of Piet Mertens
- Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde